23 Jan 2016
in Brave New World
Tags: Blizzard, Christmas, Coats, Family, fashion, Fun, humor, Kids, Lancaster, Life, NYC, Photo, Snow, winter
I think this picture was taken in 2000. We were living in NYC on the upper east side. Kera was 2. Going for walks with her daddy was one of her favorite things, even in a blizzard. Even in dirty city snow.
That white snow suit was a gift from her godmother Colleen, my sister-in-law. Colleen bought Kera every winter coat until she became a teen – and stopped wearing winter coats.
The picture with the pink hat below became our Christmas card that year.
This was Kera’s first major sledding adventure. Look at that face! Look at that hat! Remember when you could put your kids in anything and they’d wear it? I don’t.
I think this is that same year. We had moved out of the city to upstate NY.
Then Jack came on the scene…ready to party.
Just look at Kera’s toothy smile! I like taking this trip down winter coat memory lane….
We still meet with family every year right before Christmas – back then we met in Lancaster, PA. Thanks to Aunt Dee Dee we’d see a show, stay in a hotel and kick off the holidays. The picture below is from one of the last times we were there. We drove down and a blizzard hit. The show was cancelled but we found an open restaurant and made the best of it. I’m not sure why Jack isn’t wearing gloves. I seem to have him wrapped up like a babushka except for his little, cold hands. I was too busy taking pictures.
Snow makes them happy. And anything that makes them happy is fine by me.
04 Nov 2015
in I need to tell you about this right now
Tags: Birthdays, Book Club, Books, cake, children, College, ehtnic food, Fall, Father, food, Friendship, Homeland, Kids, Mother, Movies, November, October, relationships, September, tv, winter, Women
It’s November. Did you know that? I kinda knew that but it didn’t sink in until about two hours ago. It’s 2am. I’m up. I went to bed at 10pm after we caught up on Homeland (Carrie is off her meds and its super fun!) About an hour later I woke up and haven’t been able to sleep. My mind is reeling. October is over. But it feels like late September. It’s sunny and not too cool (actually right now it’s pitch black and nippy out but you get my point). The Fall foliage is in Technicolor – no filters needed. I can’t believe I’m talking about foliage at 2am. Correction – 2:10am.
Here’s everything that’s happened in the last few weeks non sequitur:
- We kicked-off college visits with my baby girl and I’m sad/happy/excited/scared/jealous/weepy for her. Who will be my partner in crime for all foods ethnic? Definitely not her father and brother, their idea of ethnic food is salsa. Who will tell me about cool new music and make me feel like I’m in the know? I know what you’re thinking. All these things are about me. But she’s about me. She’s mine. I’m not ready to let the world have her yet. The world isn’t good enough. I wish she could experience all those amazing things that are around the corner for her, but still come home every night and sleep in her bed. So now I cry randomly when I’m alone thinking about dropping her off at school. Good times.
- I’m obsessed with Project Greenlight. Matt Damon and Ben Affleck were supposed to be the most interesting thing about this show – and yet they are the least. Effy, the valley-girl-dreadlocked-feminist producer who lives to drive newbie director Jason crazy with her control issues is what’s interesting. The fact that Jason looks like a real life version of Jack Skellington from A Nightmare Before Christmas is just a bonus. Watch it watch it!!
- Babes with Books is still going strong! In fact, it’s my turn to host book club next week and I’m excited to see the ladies. We picked Me Before You. Have you read it? Did you love it? I read it in one day. Couldn’t put it down. It could have been a predictable story but it wasn’t – even the parts that you can predict are slightly twisted. Read it read it!!
- We hosted 8 birthdays in one day. 8. Birthdays. Efficient and crazy. That’s how we roll. See birthday cake as proof!
- My baby boy was one of those birthdays. He’s 12 now. 12 years ago I woke up at 4am and hightailed it up to Vassar Brother’s Hospital in Poughkeepsie, NY. 12 years ago I brought home this little, strong-willed, creative, smart, kind boy who makes me laugh every day (when he’s not driving me crazy). 12 years flew by like 12 minutes. See his picture below – at 9am, eating a hot dog and drinking an Icee on what he called his “cheat day”. I don’t even know what that means. But I’ll play along. Forever.
- Fall in our town is my jam. One of our very good friends is a gifted photographer and generously shares amazing shots. Marcello you are the best! I posted some of my favorites below.
- So….Halloween down. 8 birthdays down. 1st college visit down. Bring on November! Or continue on with November!
19 Jan 2015
in I need to tell you about this right now
Tags: Event Planning, Events, Family, humor, Les Miserable, Life, Movies, New Years, tv, winter, work, Writing
What’s up buttercups? Whatcha been up to for the last two weeks? You’ve taken down the tree? The lights? The cheer? We are holiday gear and cheer free. And loving it. Bring on the dark, cold days of winter! I’m nuts right? Here’s a recap of what’s been on my mind and in my world (I know, again with the recap – but this is what I can manage right now. It’ll get better)
- Work has been crazy super busy, but in a fun way. Can you relate? The great thing about events is that you get to see everything you planned come to life. The scary thing about events is that you get to see everything you planned come to life. For good, bad or OMG. Work that my team has been doing for, in some cases, over a year – will come to life. Wish us luck! I’ll post photos along the way.
- On New Year’s Eve we kept it really low-key. We invited one of our favorite families over to ring in the new year. They brought all kinds of goodies – but the goodiest of the goodies was a box of Magnum ice cream bars. Why hasn’t anyone ever told me about this? Why isn’t this the only thing people talk about? Anyone else addicted?
- My husband and I are well on our way to seeing all the Oscar movies. Current fave is Whiplash with American Sniper close behind. Although Imitation Game is amazing. And Boyhood. Boyhood was really really good too. And I can’t forget Birdman. Or Grand BudaPHESHT Hotel. Up next for us is Selma and Theory of Everything. And then maybe I’ll pick up a book or talk to my kids.
- My girl made the cut for her school’s production of Les Miserable – she’s proudly in the pit playing keyboards. I can’t tell you how excited I am. She doesn’t know this but I’ll be helping her practice. I’ll play the part of Cosette, Fantine, Javert and Jean Valjean. I can do it! What – it’s not about me? Sure it is.
- Had dinner in Philly with our New York friends and laughed so much I made an ugly face – ever do that? He sent me a cute photo of himself which I’m sharing below (also sharing my ugly laugh face which my husband captured).
- My kids continue their love affair with our cat Lexi. Once in a while I ask both of them to send me photos they’ve been taking – I find that 99% of them are Lexie shots. I shared one below so you can see the love, attention and detail that goes into their photo shoots.
- The other 1% are silly selfies taken by my son (wonder where he gets that habit from).
- I also included a small pic of my man giving me some love. Just cause.
I have been dying to tell you all that. In my heart I’ve been writing the blog every day. In reality I’ve punked out. But as I say to my kids when I forget to pick them up from somewhere, it doesn’t mean that I don’t love you. It just means that I got caught up in some TV. xoxo
03 Jan 2013
Tags: Diet, food, Fruit, humor, Life, Nutrition, oranges, Photography, red chili, salt, salt and pepper, winter
Thought I’d share my favorite weirdo way to eat clementines (current household obsession), oranges, melons (including the water variety) and mangos.
All you need is: fruit of the moment, salt and pepper
Can you guess what you do next? Yep. That’s it.
It’s so freaking good. Trust me. Sometimes I use red chili powder instead of black pepper – but I didn’t want to blow your mind.
There you are. Happy Birthday. Merry Christmas. From me to you.
12 Dec 2012
in I need to tell you about this right now
Tags: Blogging, Christmas, christmas movies, home, Homework, humor, Nature, Volunteer, Weather, winter, work
It’s been busy.
It’s been saving-the-world busy.
Except I’m doing the opposite of saving the world.
I’m just doing conference calls, and meetings, and yelling about homework, and yelling about cleaning.
Know what I’m not doing? Working out. Volunteering. Blogging. Cuddling with my babies and watching Christmas movies (not that those giants want me to cuddle with them but you get the point).
Hope you are doing well in your worlds. Hope you are enjoying the season. The rainy, humid, foggy, season.