This is your mom. You know, the one who birthed you. Remember me? Sometimes I make you dinner – but most times I buy you dinner. Does that ring a bell? Oh I know! I’m the one who talks to herself all day saying things like, ” lights out!” “wash your face” and the classic, “you can’t wear those shorts again”. Yep. That’s me.
Ok so I know summer is in full swing and you have lots of plans. Which, btw, I love. You don’t know this but our calendars are synced – so every morning I get a reminder of your “to do” list. Today was:
- 20 sit-ups
- find rope swing place
- go to pool
- edit video
Whenever it pops up I’m inspired to make my own list – but it wouldn’t be as fun. It would be something like:
- defrizz hair
- drink 4 cups of coffee and have a carb
- go to meeting
- go to next meeting
Not that great.
I’m so happy you and your friends are out on your bikes everyday. You’ve found a way to get to the pool and to most of your friends’ houses without going on major roads – thank you for that. I love your intense desire for independence and adventure. I hope you are always always like this. Yes, I know it’s a dangerous world with dangerous people – but you aren’t afraid and so that makes me less afraid.
And now that we have some summer days under out belt, I have some new rules:
- Your phone is meant primarily for…get ready for this…communicating via voice or text. When you are gone for hours and I write you a text in all caps – that means I’m worried for your life. Please write back. PLEASE. Thank you.
- Stop carrying things while you’re riding a bike – it’s dangerous. This goes for basketballs, money, a tripod, etc. Please put these things in the empty backpack that’s on your back meant exactly for this purpose.
- Icees and slushies are not food. If it’s neon blue or green – it doesn’t count as a meal.
- Get back to the house while it’s still light means I want you home before it’s dark – it doesn’t mean that you should ride your bike at night with your phone flashlight on. Nice try.
- Remember I have eyes everywhere. So make good choices. (also your sister follows your snapchats and she is even more protective of you then me so you’ll have to deal with that).
So, to close…Go. Explore. Have fun. Be safe. Keep sending me pics of your day – I live for those photos. And for god’s sake, text me back!