Yesterday was “International Day of the Girl”. Did you know that? I didn’t. I thought it was “International Day of the Conference Call”.
CNN.com asked some of the most impressive women in the world what they’d tell their 15-year-old self. I won’t tell you how many times I tried to link that article to this post and failed. Just know that I tried. WordPress is getting under my nerves. I digress.
Here’s what I would tell my 15-year-old self if I could:
- Even though they are driving you crazy right now – your family will be the most important thing in your life.
- Although you’ve been plotting to get the hell out of Pennsylvania – in about 20 years you’ll be back – and love it.
- Be kind to everyone. You have no idea what they are going through.
- In 4 years you’ll meet the man you’ll spend the rest of your life with. Sorry. It won’t be David Canfield. You’ll do much better.
- Go get your eyebrows waxed. Today. Now.
- All the reasons you think you’re goofy, dorky and weird will be all the reasons why people love you. Lighten up.
Not as eloquent as Melinda Gates or Oprah – but there you have it.
I couldn’t find a picture of myself at 15 – but here’s one that’s close enough. Yes, that’s a maroon velvet vest I’m wearing. There may or may not have been a matching skort on the bottom.