This post could also be called, “ode to women”. I’ve been thinking about all the gals in my life. ’Cause I’m all wise and mature. Not really. I’m just surrounded by all these forces of nature and I’m so thankful. Some of them are oldie but goodie friends, some are family, and some are new gal pals. Who’d have thunk it? So in no particular order or rationale – here’s some scoop on some of them:
- My “Army of Aunts” – how come no one ever told me growing up that the world, my world, is held together by aunts? Old, young, married, single – they make my family tick. My husband would agree. We both grew up surrounded by formidable aunts that helped raise us. Now that we have kids, our sisters, cousins, friends have become aunts to them. Aunts rule – do not mess with an aunt.
- Girls, Girls, Girls – my daughter is funny. Like really funny. Her friends are funny too. Maybe I’ve forgotten – but I do not remember having a personality until well into my 20s. Oh there’s drama – there’s always drama. But there’s also kindness. Smart, beautiful, kind and funny. I wonder if they would have been friends with me in 8th grade?
- Friends without judgement. I have girlfriends that I’ve known for decades that I call…I dunno…almost never. But when I do call them – or Facebook them – it’s all good. There’s no where-have-you-been-for-the-past-year? Thank goodness for that – because I do love them and miss them and need them, I’m just drowning in life over here.
- Just arrived, brand spankin’ new friends – they may have come from work or they may be your kid’s best friend’s mom – who cares! They rock. My son and my daughter have brought many kick-ass women into my life. And guess what people, when we are together we do not talk about the kids. We talk about jobs, politics, remodeling, our husbands….and we drink. It’s magical.
- Then there are women I speak to everyday, my lifeline, my Bat signal. The conversations are sometimes quick, sometimes hurried, and always interrupted. They know my daily issues at work, and my daily issues at home and they have their own issues – thank the lord.
I love me some men. But without women in my life I’d be a goner.